Search Writing on Sunshine...

16 December 2007

Scrapbooking Therapy

Therapy through Scrapbooks

By: Brandy Ford

Scrapbooking is more than just putting photos in an album. It is about telling stories.

I started my first scrapbook the day after Mom said she was having brain surgery.

“The aneurysm has grown,” she said.

I used to give Mom the Silent Treatment. I would ignore her completely; pinch my lips shut, walking away from her if I didn’t get my way.

Once she had rented a steamer and had spent hours steaming the wallpaper from my walls so I could keep it as a memento. It was covered with signatures from my friends. Mom was able to save each and every piece of it.

I began writing memory after memory and glanced up at one of my favourite pictures. It is of me, Mom and my grandmother. I am eight months pregnant with my first child.

It became clear what I needed to do.

I was going to preserve our memories and let my parents know how much I love them.

I was going to think of every little rotten thing I did when I was a teenager and make amends.

I started crying. My cries emerged into sobs. My sobs escalated into a howl. Then I was puffy-faced and silent. I was finally ready to begin.

I chose a simple piece of baby blue paper to start. I searched through my pile of pictures until I found the one of my parents holding my son, Jaevin, for the first time.

“Joy was the day I placed my newborn son in your arms and saw the love you felt for him.” I wrote.

“I’m sorry for every fight I ever had with Jesse”

“Thank you for welcoming Darren into our family and for instantly calling Jemelie and Joriana your granddaughters.”

I became obsessed with pictures and recording every little memory I had.

“Thank you for making us eat dinner together as a family each night at the table.”

“I’m sorry for making you worry when I didn’t come home on curfew.”

“I remember thinking that my parents were invincible.”

Words and photographs melded.

I worked on the scrapbook fanatically until the last possible moment.

“We’ve got to get going,” Darren said. We were all meeting at a hotel in Toronto before Mom’s operation.

“Hold on. I’ve got one more picture.”

It was the picture of Mom, my grandmother and me. Three generations of mothers and daughters.

I had completed my first scrapbook; and showed it to Mom later that night.

“I want to show you something,” she said. She had a small photo album in her bag. It held pictures of our entire family and artwork from her grandchildren. She, too, had needed to create a scrapbook.

The doctor operated on Mom for hours the next morning. Finally he came to tell us she was okay.
I cried when I saw Mom’s bandaged face, and I realized that my first scrapbook wasn’t completed. I had just started it and I will be adding pages to it for the rest of my life.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Brandy
I cant believe you still have that wallpaper"i would love to see it" ive told my hubby about it in some of the stories about us ive told..mostly the good ones..hehe anyway i teared up a little when i read this i didnt know about your mom, how is she now? we really need to meet up sometime i miss you!oh and i have tons of scrapbooking stuff.

Writing on Sunshine said...

been a while since i read this one...little teary myself. Anyway the blog doesn't tell me WHO you are!!!