Search Writing on Sunshine...

24 March 2011

Horses Provide Powerful Thearapy at HATS

Susan Annan, instructor with Horse Alternative Therapeutic Services, is shown with therapy horse, Michael
Imagine a child being set free from his wheel chair. Or an autistic child making a connection with her world. Each week the Horse Alternative Therapeutic Services (H.A.T.S) in Pelham, Ontario makes both of these seemingly impossible scenarios a reality.


H.A.T.S is a non-profit, charitable organization which provides programs using horses as a therapeutic method to improve physical and/or emotional health and quality of life of children and adults.

“We help a number of people,” says Susan Annan, CTRAI - Instructor for the program. “We have people with autism, cerebral palsy, Down's syndrome and others in wheel chairs coming to be with the horses. Therapeutic riding is great.”

Therapeutic riding was developed based on the principal that a horse’s movement duplicates the motion of the human pelvis. It provides many benefits such as strengthening muscles, improving attention span, helping an individual socialize and giving freedom and independence to someone not able to walk.

Annan has first hand experience of the value of H.A.T.S.

“I herniated the disc in my back,” she says. “I was looking for an activity to do and since I enjoyed the company of horses and H.A.T.S was near to my home I joined up as a volunteer.”

Her chiropractor said she would never be able to ride, but one day she decided to give it a try.

“When I went back to my chiropractor he asked me what I had been doing because my core strength in my back was really good. I told him ‘don’t yell, but I’ve been riding a horse’. That’s how I got interested in therapeutic riding.”

She says the progress a child makes physically and emotionally is amazing.

“We have one little gentleman and he is forever kissing the horse,” Annan says. “Another little autistic boy wanted off and on the pony throughout his whole first lesson. I thought maybe it was too soon for him to begin the program, but his mother said ‘are you kidding? This child has never said boo and I put him in the car after his lesson and he didn’t stop talking all the way home.’”

Annan says his mother thought “it was a miracle” because the child “kept going on and on about the horses and ponies.”

She says this is a typical experience at H.A.T.S.

“I’ve seen that happen with a number of the children. Emotionally, the kids do get attached to the horses. The horses are just irreplaceable in the way of physical and emotional assistance with these kids.”

But the cost of running H.A.T.S can be expensive. Annan says looking after one horse alone can cost up to $8000.00 per year, which is why the program relies on fundraisers to keep going.

“Our annual spring fundraiser is on March 26th,” she says. “It’s a silent auction and dinner and tickets are $25 each.”

It will be from 6 -12 pm at the Beacon Best Western Harbourside in Jordan.

Annan hopes the benefit has a good turnout because H.A.T.S is “very beneficial”.

“The exercise that you get from riding a horse is not the same as anything you’re going to get from a physiotherapist or at a gym,” she says. “Once that horse is moving you’re required to use a lot of muscle in order to maintain your balance up there. You’re not just working one muscle , you’ve got legs, you’ve got back you’ve got everything going on. It’s very beneficial.”

The fun the children have is undeniable, she says.

“We have a lot of fun. I typically try to do something special each session. This session we are blessed with birthday parties for the horses,” Annan laughs. “ In the summer we have a western rodeo kind of thing or pyjama parties. We do all the holidays with decorations too. The kids are always giggling, playing games and trotting. The first time you put a child on a horse or pony and you have them trotting the laughter is just terrific. They really appreciate the program.”

Annan says H.A.T.S is fun for her as well.

“I’ve seen the benefits. There’s so many of them. Kids that were struggling to just hold the reigns or sit up or control the horse- I’ve seen them progress. I have a lot of fun teaching . You get into the groove. The kids just love it. And until that passion and imagination goes away I’m here to stay.”

H.A.T.S is located at Classic Farms on 1020 Kilman Road in Pelham. To contact them call (905) 704-9820; email hatson@becon.org or visit http://www.hatsniagara.org/.

Published in Niagara Farmers' Monthly -March 2011

No comments: