Search Writing on Sunshine...

28 February 2007

signs of spring

Before Jaevin went to school this morning, he heard some birds chirping.
"Oh! You know what that means, Mom," he said. "That's a sign of spring coming."
I glanced out the window at the world of cold and snow and said, "Well....yeah."
Not very convincing.
"No, it is, Mommy. It is."
Later, as I stood at the end of our driveway, I saw a grey squirrel jump up onto our fence and then bounce down on to the snow-ground. Then immediately another identical squirrel jumped onto the fence in the same spot and just waited there. I wondered if they were together, but then thought, no, it's just a coincidence. Then Squirrel A went up a tree and Squirrel B jumped into the neighbours tree. Then Squirrel A jumped into Squirrel B's tree and they jumped around the bare branches together a bit and then jumped back onto and over the fence again. I wondered if it was a mating ritual or something. Maybe they're just friends. Who knows, but it was pretty cool and I considered that maybe Jaevin was right. Maybe spring is coming.
That reminds me of a poem I wrote in fourth grade and was published in Lindsay This Week.
Ahhh...my first published work at ten years old.
"Spring is here; Spring is here,
At last; At last"
That's all I can remember by heart. But I have it clipped out and stored somewhere. How silly of a poem. But who cares? I think I'll put it on my blog anyway.
Funny that spring is coming and it seems we barely had a winter. We have some snow out there now, but it was a long time coming. I actually like winter. I love the beauty. Global warming is a reality.
I think a lot of people don't consider the difference that they can make because they don't see the difference.
Like, why recycle? What's the point?
Try looking at the bags of garbage that are diverted from a landfill from your very own home.
I am a crazy obsessed composter and recycler and always have been.
I used to save all my recyclables at home and bring them to my friend, Fawn when I was in high school.
They didn't have a recycling program at the time in the country, but they had just started one in Lindsay.
"Uh, thanks, Brandy" she'd say. I'd ignore her rolling eyes and hand over my bags of yogurt containers and pop cans.
"It's for the environment!"

No comments: