Search Writing on Sunshine...

21 November 2007

A Child's Reality

I've written many times about Jaevin's moment of infamous generousity when he asked me to sell his coloured picture on ebay so he could give the money to the Alzheimer scientists.
But there are so many daily moments of not so spectacular generosity that I don't write about; but thought I would share a bit today.
It's easy for people to focus on the "remember me" moment because it snowballed into a media cause of the day, but there are daily innocent moments that I don't want to forget.
Today I was clearing off the counter when I found a Halloween treat bag that Jaevin had filled about two weeks ago.
I became a member of the Welland Food Drive this year, and helped out on the big day. Every citizen of Welland is asked to put a food donation out on their front steps and volunteers collect it and all the food is divided between three major food banks in the city. It is an amazing event and I am so humbled to have been a part of it, and amazed because there are only 6 people running the entire thing, and we receive no money from the city for it.
I took pictures all day (of course!) and put together a special DVD for all the members.Jaevin watched it with me and asked me questions about what we were doing, why and can he help. I told him that he could help sort food with me next year (he was a bit ticked that I hadn't asked him to help this year, and in retrospect I really should have) Then he went to our cupboards and grabbed a bunch of food for us to donate to the food bank. I'm going to make a special box for donatable foods because everytime we go shopping he picks out at least one thing to donate.
After that he looked at me and said, "Mom, we give presents to all the kids at Christmas at school, right?"
"Yes. That 's like a food bank too, Jaevin," I started to explain. "Instead of people donating food to needy families, we give toys to the charities so that children can have presents at Christmas."
"But doesn't Santa give ALL kids presents?"
I paused for a moment; I was not exactly sure how to proceed. He's at a vulnerable age. He's young and innocent and imaginative enough still to believe; yet he is old enough to have intellectual thoughts about the man in red.
"Well, of course Santa gives ALL kids presents, but you know Santa usually only has one present for each child."
"And he fills the stockings too, Momma."
"Oh, yes, of course! The stockings too."
"Okay, then why do we donate presents ?"
"Well, at Christmas you are soooo lucky. You have a big family and get presents from so many people. When we come down on Christmas morning, do we only have ONE present waiting for you under the tree?"
Jaevin's eyes sparkled and he giggled and I could see him imagining Christmas Morning. Then he shook his head and said,"NO! We get about 120 presents. Maybe even 763!" (he is totally into using abstract large numbers in his descriptions of things now...it is way too cute)
"That's right. We have lots. But some families aren't as lucky as us, and they will only have one present under their tree from Santa. So that's why we help out and try to make other families happy at Christmas."
He didn't say anything for a few moments. Then he said, "What about birthdays?"
I was confused so asked him what he meant.
"Well, do those kids get to have big parties and get lots of presents on their birthdays? Christmas is for EVERYONE, but birthdays are only for one person. Do they get presents?"
I told him that was an interesting question and that I wasn't sure.
"Birthday parties are expensive. Mommys and Daddys have to buy treat bag stuff and cakes and decorations. Plus they have to get a present too."
"Well, is there anybody that helps kids have good parties? Like mine?" Jaevin asked.
I realized what had prompted his birthday concern. Jaevin had just had his birthday party a week before the food drive. He is extremely lucky because i LOVE throwing birthday parties and go all out with decorations and games and loot bags. He invited his whole class and then some, so it would be honest to say he had a very good birthday.
"I don't think so." I told him.
Then he went out of the room and a few minutes later he came back with his hands full of Halloween treat bags.
"These are for the birthday kids so they can have good parties."
The bags were full of his hotwheel cars and Halloween candy, and other things he thought were valuable.
"I want to be a Birthday Helper, Mommy."
Of course I teared up and hugged him and told him I was very proud of him and would see what I could do. Maybe I could help him start a little group that assists parents. Why had I never thought of this before? How did a seven year old think of it?
Then I put it at the back of my mind because it has been so busy around here. But this morning, like I mentioned, I found one of his treat bags. Inside was a Spiderman sticker, one of his favourite Hot Wheels, and a KFC coupon. I had to laugh at the coupon, but I understand his reasoning. He thinks those coupons give you FREE food.
I'm going to give him a hug when he gets home from school tonight. Then I'm going to see what I can do to make his Birthday Helpers group a reality.
Afterall, it was a childish request to ask to sell his picture up on ebay. He believed he could sell his picture and give a lot of money to the scientists. What if I hadn't followed up for him? What if I had smiled and said, "okay, Jaevin" and not done anything?
His dreams are a reminder that ANYTHING can happen. ANYTHING is possible. The only thing that ever can hold our dreams and goals back is our own self.
We, as adults, have got to start looking at life through the naive innocence of a child. Children believe in life and dreams. It's usually the adults in their lives that begin putting up the barriers.
"You can't do that."
or
"That won't work."
or
"That's impossible."
I am so glad that I have Jaevin because he reminds me daily of how dreams are made to become realities.

No comments: